Thousands of ordinary people across the globe have mastered the practice of becoming “instafamous,” or highly well known on the social media site Instagram. Ever wondered how they did it? How can the average joe grow a following of 30,000+ users? It’s not luck; it’s a science.
We’ve seen the overwhelming results that Instagram and other social media platforms can offer from gaining a huge following. One example is becoming a public figure, Alexa Jean, Vevian Vozmediano and Karena Thompson are just a few ordinary people who’ve gained a following and are now social media gurus; all by posting vicariously on IG. From workout videos, to healthy recipes, to day-to-day inspiration, these women have mastered the science of becoming known worldwide as fitness and health experts. Endorsements, sponsorships, free merchandise, and even long term business deals have arised from conquering social media.
Here are 6 tips for conquering social media:
- Create a recognizable username - This is the first step on the road to success. A catchy and unique username can differentiate you from the vast majority of users. Once you’ve picked the right username, keep it consistent and stray away from changes as others will begin to remember you by this and form associations.
- Find your calling - What is your purpose on Instagram? Are you a fitness guru, avid fashionista, photographer or local foodie? Narrow it down to a specific topic and revolve your postings based off this. Determine what your brand will consist of and follow the top leaders in the space.
- Stay social, stay consistent - Your Instagram page is a direct representation of you and your brand. Being socially active on a daily basis is a key element to long-term success. Not only that, but make sure to be socially active towards other users. Consider IG as a community: be present, be social and become remembered. This includes liking numerous posts, commenting, mentioning other users, re-posting and so on. Personally, I scroll through my IG feed multiple times a day, liking the majority of posts I see. Doing this will remind others of your presence and people will start to return the social love by liking, commenting and sharing your future posts.
- Hashtag, hashtag, hashtag! - When you’re first starting out it can be hard to gain a following. This is why hashtagging can be vital to your growth. Make sure your profile is public and not private, and hone down on 10 hashtags that are most popular in your space. Always make sure to tag the most appropriate, relevant hashtag when posting.
- A picture speaks a thousand words - The most important aspect to social media is your postings. For Instagram, it’s pictures. Take great photos, create awesome tags, and become a person of interest to the public. Make sure to mix it up a bit, when it comes to postings. Whether it’s the occasional selfie, a vacation picture, or even what you’re eating for dinner. People love to see a variety of postings from the people they follow. Posting the same type of photo can become boring and users may choose to unfollow you for this. Always remember, be intriguing, be fascinating and be desirable.
- Don’t overdo it - No one likes to see 20 posts on their timeline from the same person. Limit your posts to 3 daily, and make sure to spread them out evenly during the day. For example, post once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at night if need be -- anything over 3 may be considered spammy to others. Two posts a day is enough to keep you fresh and remembered by the vast IG community.
Follow these six steps and watch your brand grow. Everyday people have created products for sale such as eBooks, some based on diet and nutrition plans. Many have partnered with other businesses, and some have become brand ambassadors for large scale companies such as Shredz, MateFit and BellaMi Hair. Anyone can become instafamous, all it takes is dedication, persistence and determination. The sky's the limit in terms of the results social media can bring.