Millions of searches occur on LinkedIn everyday. 87% of job recruiters reportedly use the world’s largest professional network to connect with potential employees, so it’s important to have a captivating first impression that entices others to click on your profile.
LinkedIn is trusted by more than 433 million business professional around the globe. With the business community evolving and transitioning to these online platforms, it is ultra important to create a professional account that accurately conveys your best self. Possible investors, employers or even prospective employees may come from an inbound search. So here are a few tips to maximize your profile from the search page.
- Use your headline to your advantage
Your headline may be one of the most important tools of your profile. You need to catch the attention of LinkedIn users. Create a unique and captivating headline that makes people want to read more and convert someone's random search into a profile view. There are four things you must do in your headline:
- WHAT you are (Sales Rep, Marketing Professional, Blogger)
- WHO you help (Non-profits, Business Executives)
- HOW you add value (Raise Money, Grow Rapidly)
- PROOF of your claim (Worked with UNHCR, Featured on CNN/Yahoo)
- Maximize your profile picture
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, it’s no different on LinkedIn. Your picture can make or break your profile regardless of how strong the rest is. Using the proper photo will result in more interest and keep you from being thought of as a rowdy college kid or someone who just simply doesn’t care. Here are five qualities your perfect profile picture should have:
- A photo that looks like you
- 60% of the photo is your face
- You are using an appropriate expression
- Dress for the job you want to have
- Make sure the background is not distracting
- Take the time to customize your URL
A quick and easy way to generate more profile hits is simply to share your profile with more people. By adding your LinkedIn URL to your email signature, you will be able to connect with people that you already in your network. A messy URL might prevent people from clicking. It is critical to create a custom URL that looks neat, identifies you and most importantly is easy to share. Here are the four steps to creating a customized URL:
- Click on your profile
- Use the edit function just underneath your profile picture
- On the right hand side, click on the pencil next to your URL
- Create your customized URL to share with the world
In less than 20 minutes, you can turn your run-of-the-mill LinkedIn profile into a must-read, networking machine. So take the time to increase the opportunities you might have never known existed with these three simple tips.
Have more questions about how to optimize your LinkedIn profile? Leave a comment below and I’d be happy to help!